Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dismay over Inaccurate Depiction of Historical Alameda



Roger:

I had been hearing "buzz" about a musical production entitled "Ragtime" which I had assumed was a left-thinking, radical feminist production by thespians about women's monthly rituals. Not for me, thank you! But then I came across this video and discovered that the play is actually a story about new immigrants to Alameda, one hundred years ago.

The thought of immigrants started to raise the well-trimmed hackles on the back of my neck, but then I realized that this story took place 100 years ago. So these characters' grandchildren would be well-adjusted Alameda natives by now. All right, that is acceptable.

But then…I looked carefully at the video, searching for something else to get upset about. And, lo and behold, I saw it. The end of the trailer depicts a statue in our beloved bay that I had not seen before. A tall figure, arm raised in defiance, upon a great pedestal. I did some checking in Major's Guide to All Historical Things Alameda, and I confirmed that there was clearly never a statue like this in our offshore waters.

I encourage all right-thinking Alamedans to boycott this show due this his historical inaccuracy. Stay well clear of the so-called "historic" Kaufman auditorium on July 11, 12, 18, 19, 24, 25 and 26! Our city's playwrights must not toy with mixing fact and fiction into their works and confuse a generation of impressionable children in the audience.

Most sincerely,

Jim Crowley
proud Shoreline Drive resident for 5 generations

Editor's Note:

The Alameda Daily Noose and I concur with Mr. Crow's wise advice: Stay far, far away from Kofman Auditorium on all those dates he mentioned. In addition to the high risk of historical inaccuracies, we would also like to point out that Kofman is haunted by a phantom problem that, despite our wildly praised reporting on the issue, is still not fully under control.

No comments: