Friday, July 31, 2009

Green Living with Janet Marchant: Your Wonderful Green Bin!



Every Monday evening, my hubby has gone through the chore of dragging our family's Gray Bin, Blue Bin, and Green Bin to the sidewalk. I am thankful that I have him to do this onerous task because they are too big and heavy for me to pull!

As I watched him out the window last week, I thought to myself how nice it was to have a green bin, but that we've got to do something about those other ones. Yes, I'm always thinking about how to be more green!

And then it struck me — Let's just stop using the Blue and Gray bins!
If we put all of our weekly "output" into the green bin, we'll be a greener family for it!

I called up ACI the next morning and I explained my idea. The nice man who answered the phone didn't really understand what I was saying, but he finally caught on when I told him that I wanted to cancel the service for our Gray and Blue bins, and upgrade our Green bin to the EXTRA large size. I think then he finally got what I was talking about, and was glad to help adjust our service. A truck came just a couple of days later to do the exchange.

So now our family is doing Green-only waste management, and it feels great! I encourage all other Alamedans to do the same.

Just to give you a sense of what it's like, I've kept track of what we put into our green bin for the last few days since we started. Here is a list:

- Kitchen scraps: banana peels, egg shells, coffee grounds, orange peels, moldy fruit, chicken bones, pork chops that we left in the refrigerator too long, and so on. I double-bagged these in some heavy- weight "Hefty Bags" so that it wouldn't stink up the bin while it waited to be picked up.

- 3 or 4 hefty-bag-fulls of styrofoam packing peanuts that came with all the stuff we ordered from Wal-Mart.com, our favorite online store! (No need to double-bag these; they don't smell bad at all!)

- Our daughter's old bicycle. (Now that she's going to be a kindergartner, she's getting too old to be riding a bike; I don't think she'll miss it since I've been driving her to all her "summer camp" activities.) Fortunately the bike is small enough to fit into the XL-size bin!

- A couple of hefty bags full of empty containers like juice boxes, cereal boxes/bags, milk cartons, coke cans, and so on.

- Our last old-style "tube" TV. (Yipee! We've finally finished the transition to flat-screen now!)

- A big box of books and magazines that I'm done reading

- A whole bunch of mystery junk that I found under Chad's bed when I finally got around to hauling out his room.

Anyhoo, all of this went into the Green Bin. It's almost full and we have a few more days until pick-up, so I might have to order a second one. That's OK - the more we put into the Green Bin, the more we are helping our Planet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

chocolate

巧克力

嗓音美容

聲帶結節

聲帶息肉

聲音萎縮

Anonymous said...

提供最佳的十大生活資訊與分享:
你知道哪裡有好吃的蛋糕嗎!
你知道白蟻如何防治嬤!
汽車隔熱紙一定是越貴越好嬤!
哪一種棧板是具有環保!
台中哪一家整形醫師縫雙眼皮最讓妳滿意!
關鍵字的搜尋行銷要領
如果要高雄旅遊,讓我告訴你高雄縣旅遊觀光景點
會計事務所到底是做哪些事!
長期照顧老人看護要如何選擇
哪裡可以選到價廉物美的服飾批發!

Anonymous said...

整形 柴犬
外籍新娘 肉毒桿菌
網路行銷 網站排名
汽車旅館 保健食品
整形外科 台中住宿
高雄旅遊 日系服飾
瑜珈教室 居家看護
扭力板手 chocolate

Blogmaster said...

how to live green, practical advice and tips only..