Friday, March 6, 2009

Green Living by Janet Marchant: Reusable, Renewable, Ravishing Household Items

If you're like me, you go through a rolls and rolls of paper towels in the course of accomplishing ordinary, everyday tasks. I used to feel bad about putting all of that paper in the landfill, and using up trees that might be better used to stoke my living room fire pit, but now I've discovered a great alternative for many of my towel needs.

Did you know that it is possible to buy large, sturdy, reusable towels right here in Alameda? That's right! A number of stores carry them, including a couple at our own Countrie Peripherie shopping center. These amazing, paper-free towels are made of all-natural, renewable resources such as cotton. A single towel can last for years. Just wash it after use, or, if it's just wet and not dirty, hang it up to dry and use it again!

Don't be put off by the up-front cost of these miracle cloth towels. They are worth every dime. I recently bought some to use for drying off after bathing, and they've already paid for themselves! Not only that, but the cotton towels don't seem to leave my skin as chapped as the paper ones did.

So save yourself some green, both at the store and in garbage collection costs; try reusable towels today!

No comments: