Thursday, July 24, 2008

Letter-Writer's Epiphany: The Alameda Daily Noose and I Were Right All Along! Oh, and Some Stuff about Trees

Dear Sir,

I was one of those who thought your defense of Measure Acorn a bit extreme. All that going on about Squirrels and whatnot seemed, well, a bit unseemly. That all changed last weekend as I walked down one of our fine Alamedan boulevards and felt a chill run down my spine. Was it a Squirrel? No - a Tree!

You see, a Tree was wantonly, with no consideration for me, casting its shadow onto the sidewalk, blocking the sun and making me cold. I know - such effrontery! But it actually happened! Now I see why you are so concerned about Squirrels. Squirrels move acorns, acorns grow into Trees, Trees make our world colder, and what do you have? Global Chilling! Their coniferine agenda is clear! Where is Al Gore when you need him?!? Accepting some bark-covered award or other, no doubt, ignoring the needs of the fine people of Alameda!

Never relent, Mr. Grumbel, never relent!

Saunders Van Melderkind

No comments: