Friday, May 15, 2009

Green Living by Janet Marchant: Another Successful Take Our Bikes to Work Day

My goodness, I was so busy trying to avoid touching things last week that I didn't have time to touch on the very important subject of Take Our Bikes to Work Day, which was yesterday. I hope you had as much fun as I did! I will definitely participate next year, too. It's so easy and fun, and introducing our bicycles to the professional work world can really help them grow.

We all know that riding bicycles is good for the environment, so any way you can figure out to ride your bike more is a boon to our planet. Of course, the streets in Alameda are too dangerous for bikes, because they are all over capacity and infested with dangerous buses. Instead of riding on the streets, I rode my bike around my front yard a few times before loading it on the car rack to take to work with me yesterday.

Usually, my family's bikes only get to go out on occasional weekends, so a little freeway trip, on the back of my hybrid S.U.V., really blew the cobwebs off them, and most of the dust, too. Then, during my lunch break, I was able to ride each of the bikes around the parking lot a few times. Whee! It's so unusual to be able work that kind of recreation into an ordinary work day, and all that riding in circles gave me a delightfully dizzy feeling that really helped with my environmental writing. Who knew saving the planet could be so much fun?

No comments: