Friday, June 19, 2009

Green Living by Janet Marchant: Greening Your Groceries

Now, I know it's not always easy being green, but that's why I'm here to help all of those friends of mine who keep saying things like, "Janet, I'd love to try this new super-healthy Organic cooking that people are raving about, but I just don't know how to start."

Well, if that sounds like you, you can stop wondering and start cooking! Here's a simple recipe to get you going on your way to Organic bliss in the kitchen. Using my handy kitchen calculator (solar powered, of course) I've done all the conversions from ordinary measurements to Organic measurements for you. If you enjoy making this Organic recipe, you might want to get a solar-powered calculator of your own, to make those ordinary-to-Organic conversions a snap for any recipe! You'll notice that I've also described the kind of Organic ingredients you can safely substitute for ordinary ingredients, so you'll know exactly what you need to buy, and how much of it to use to make this ordinary recipe Organicstraordinary!

Organic Cornbread Muffins

1 3/4 cups cornmeal = 1 3/4 cups Organic cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour = 3/4 cup Organic all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder = 4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda = 1/4 teaspoon Organic baking soda
1 teaspoon salt = 1 teaspoon all-natural sea salt, mined sustainably
1/4 cup white sugar = 1/4 cup Organic Fair Trade sugar
2 cups buttermilk = 2 cups Organic buttermilk
2 eggs = 2 Organic free-range, cage-free, free-love eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil = 1/4 cup Organic trans-fat-free vegetable oil

I'm pretty sure you can find all of these ingredients at that hippie grocery store. Or, try the Organics aisle at your favorite store. And if you can't find all of the Organic ingredients, don't worry. I've never tried it myself, but I've been told that the recipe will still work even if you substitute only some of the Organic alternatives for the ordinary ingredients. So what are you waiting for? Let's get cooking!

No comments: