Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Marlene Verloren Wants the Alameda Daily Noose and Me the Way We Used to Be

Roger,

Thank goodness you are back in the editor's chair, even if only for a short time. From the moment I saw you nursing that overgrown Mai Tai at La Rana Gigante, I knew something was not right. Looking at you that night from across that dark bar, I felt a journalistic yearning I have not felt in years. What is it they say? "You don't know what you got till it's gone."

I didn't think it was right to say anything, but that young Dave Williamson fellow just doesn't have your knack for getting right to the heart of matters here in Alameda. Sure, he does his research, but somehow I just don't get as outraged by his conclusions as I did when you ran the noosepaper.

Before you turn the Alameda Daily Noose back over to him, can't you at least get him to change it back to the way it used to look? It's so much harder to read now that he's replaced the bold yellow and black with that pasty blue-and-white color scheme, the colors of a child, in his little sailor suit. Now I know I want your dark and serious prose, black like your troubled yet manly spirit, set against the gold of your glittering insight. Yes, the old Alameda Daily Noose is the only noosepaper that can make me feel young again.

Marlene Verloren

No comments: