Friday, October 23, 2009

Green Living by Janet Marchant: Greening Your Halloween: Episode III - Revenge of the Silk

If you're like me, you keep those pesky spiders on the run most of the time, whisking away their sticky webs as fast as they can build them around your house. But Halloween is when the araneaeid order plots its silky revenge at my house. In fact, I encourage it! This year, I'm decorating with 100% natural cobwebs. My pet spider, Nancy, is already hard at work dressing up our front porch and yard.

Whenever I run across other spiders in the house or yard, I introduce them to Nancy in the hopes that they will make friends and start spinning webs together. So far, the other spiders always disappear overnight, sometimes with their webs half-finished, but at least Nancy seems fat and happy.

As you can see from the photos, Nancy has already done some great work on one of the few remaining trees that we haven't cut down for firewood yet, and she has started on the door, too.




Unlike synthetic cobwebs, natural cobwebs are biodegradable. They also cost nothing, which will save you some green! So why not start today on your organic, free-range Halloween spider webs? You'd better hurry, though, because there's not much time left for your neighborhood spiders to set up camp and secure victory in the field of decorations.

No comments: