Friday, November 21, 2008

Green Living by Janet Marchant: Removing Even More Dangerous Toxic Chemicals From Your Home

If you're like me, you've been watching the mercury in your thermometer creep down as the days grow shorter. But have you ever worried about what happens if too much mercury gets crammed into that little bulb at the bottom? The results could be explosive!

Mercury is a toxic metal that can be absorbed through the skin or even inhaled as vapor. In large amounts, inhaled mercury vapor can result in fatal pneumonia. You may have noticed that some thermometers have mercury that is tinted red, presumably to warn of its danger, but is that danger warning really enough? Why take the risk that some unwitting stranger might accidentally knock your outdoor thermometer down onto the patio, and inhale fatal quantities of mercury vapor while remorsefully surveying the mess?

It's best to remove all thermometers of any kind from your home, inside and out, and be sure to dispose of them properly by carrying them gingerly to the nearest hazardous waste disposal site. You will find that it's not difficult to live without thermometers. If you need to know what the weather is like, simply step outside, being sure to leave plenty of skin exposed. It's amazing how quickly you can tell whether it is hot or cold out there.

So go thermometer free today. We'll all breathe easier knowing that any pneumonia we contract will be 100% natural.

No comments: